In recent years, the importance of breast milk and the benefits of breast milk for the health of the baby is so much emphasized, and all the new mothers are curious about the answer of this question “what can I do to increase breast milk?”
Most of the mothers are curious about which foods and beverages that increase breast milk. There is actually no nutrient that is increasing breast milk, but we know that the nutrients in breast milk are related to the foods consumed by the mother. Therefore, nature creates it with such a beautiful mechanism that if the mother consumes some nutrients for a while, the composition of breast milk still does not change. This text explains that how to increase breast milk and which foods and beverages should be consumed to increase it after birth.
What Should I Do to Increase Breast Milk?
Milk nutritious are regulated by what you eat. All the energy you get doesn’t exactly turn into milk energy, because the body absorbs some energy. Based on the fact that a healthy mother secretes 700-800 ml of milk a day, and daily average extra energy requirement during breastfeeding is 750 calories. 500 calories of this amount are provided from what you eat, while 250 calories are covered by the fat you store during pregnancy. It contributes to burning the stored body fats because the extra weight you gain during breastfeeding can be transformed into the energy more rapidly.
If you want to increase your breast milk, what can you do for this?
- Do not be on a diet and take medicines that promise to lose weight fast.
- The most important thing that increases your breast milk is water. You should drink at least 2,5 – 3 liters of water a day because a significant part of the milk is made up of water.
- You should consume milk, yogurt, and cheese which are rich in calcium. You should eat one egg per day or one portion of meat and vegetable every day.
- You should frequently consume foods such as carrot, leafy green vegetables, apricots, etc. which contain vitamin A.
- You also need to consume fresh vegetables and fruits which are rich in vitamins every day.
- In order to preserve the nutritional value of the food you eat and, especially, to prevent anemia (anemia), you should not drink tea during dining.
It is thought that cuddling a baby after birth may help new mothers to increase their breast milk. It may be better if this cuddling happens in the first minutes after birth. Especially the first half-hour is very important, but sometimes this may be extended up to two hours due to the cesarean section.
You also need to know that the mother should rest for 5-10 minutes before breastfeeding.
How often should a newborn baby be breastfed?
As long as the baby, breastfeeding usually begins in the first month to wants with the advice of the doctor. In the following months, the child should be breastfed every three to four hours, but not more frequently than two hours. It is recommended to babies should be breastfed about 15 minutes on each breast. As a result, the baby needs to be breastfed an average of 7-8 times a day.