The average length of gestation period is 40 weeks. We can split this period like:
- First Part: Bleeding in the 20th week or before
- Second Part: Bleeding after the 20th
Bleeding occurs in 25% of all pregnancies in the first trimester. If you have heavy bleeding and cramping, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
Vaginal bleeding in the first part of pregnancy
- How common is vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?
Vaginal bleeding is actually one of the most common problems occurring in pregnancy.
- Is bleeding normal in the first part of pregnancy?
You need to inform your doctor in case of bleeding in any period of pregnancy. Mostly, it is not a significant case, but any bleeding should be checked out. It is possible to see one in five women in the first 12-14 weeks.
- In such an early period, what can cause bleeding?
There are many reasons that cause bleeding but the most common ones: miscarriage, intrauterine fetal death, and problems related to ectopic pregnancy.
- What is the probability of miscarriage in case of bleeding in the first part?
The ultrasound scans should be performed in this situation. Even if the heartbeats of the baby are heard, 10 % of them may result in miscarriage. In the remaining ones, the vaginal bleeding stops and pregnancy continue in a healthy way.
- Can ectopic pregnancy cause vaginal bleeding?
Yes. Even if not always, patients may also have belly pain.
- Can Bed Rest Prevent a Miscarriage?
No. You need to stay away from physical and mental stress. There is no exact proof that whether bed rest prevent miscarriage or not.
- How the intrauterine fetal death is diagnosed?
Sometimes the fetus dies in the early period of pregnancy, but a miscarriage has not occurred yet. It is called missed abortion. However, there may be symptoms such as loss of pregnancy symptoms, light bleeding or spotting, and dark brown discharge. This bleeding may occur without pain. If the heartbeats of the fetus are not heard by an ultrasound scan, the death of the fetus is confirmed in this case.
- What do the doctors do if the fetus dies?
Sometimes, an examination is carried out to ensure the accuracy of the findings. When the evidence is proven, the mother waits to miscarriage. Patients can take medicine for this, or their wombs are cleaned.
- What happens if the miscarriage has already occurred?
In this case, it is necessary to make sure that the miscarriage is complete. If there is still some piece remaining in your womb, it needs to be cleaned with surgical abortion.
Vaginal bleeding in the second part of pregnancy
- What type of bleedings occur in the second part of pregnancy?
Bleeding after 24 weeks of gestation is rare, but it may be a sign of a significant health problem.
- What causes bleeding?
There are many reasons that cause bleeding in this period of pregnancy, and fifty percent of these bleedings are not diagnosed. The most common ones are placenta previa, placental abruption (separation of the placenta), and cervical pathology.